It is my pleasure to welcome you to the 2021-22 school year! My name is Carrie Bostick and I am the new principal of Mitchell Elementary. I am honored to join the Mitchell team of hard-working students, dedicated teachers and staff, and a supportive school community. I feel very fortunate to be part of this school and to work alongside you to support your students.
Just to share a little about myself, I have been a part of GGUSD for over 20 years. I began my career as a teacher at Sunnyside Elementary, where I taught for 15 years before moving to the district office. For the next five years, I worked as a Teacher on Special Assignment, supporting curriculum and instruction for elementary. Most recently, I served as the assistant principal for Bryant Elementary Arts Academy. I am thrilled to bring my skills as an educational leader to Mitchell and to work with you as a partner in education to ensure the success of all students.
I am pleased to welcome all students back for five days of full-day in-person instruction for the 2021-22 school year! All GGUSD schools have a variety of health and safety protocols in place to provide a safe learning environment for your child. As we continue to receive safety guidelines and updates from the CDPH and the District Office, information will be shared with you on the ParentSquare app. ParentSquare is our main communication tool, so please be sure that you have downloaded the app and are receiving all of our school and district communication. If you have any questions or issues with ParentSquare, please feel free to call us here at the office at (714)663-6131.
Like all of our wonderful schools in GGUSD, we will continue to focus on our District Goals: Academic Skills + Personal Skills = Lifelong Success! Mitchell is proud to continue our work as an Apple School with a unique one-to-one iPad Program. Student learning is enhanced as teachers plan rigorous, standards-based lessons while integrating technology in order to better prepare our students for the 21st century. In addition to a rich academic program, Mitchell continues our work with PBIS (Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports) and a monthly focus on character traits. We are committed to supporting the socio-emotional well-being of our students, especially during these challenging times.
I look forward to working with you. Together, our students will continue to achieve academic and personal success!
Mrs. Carrie Bostick
Mitchell teachers use cutting-edge instructional strategies and integrate 21st century technology into daily instruction.
Mitchell students continue to show academic growth on state standardized tests. The percent of students who nearly met, met, or exceeded state standards on the rigorous SBAC test are 67% in English Language Arts and 73% in Math.
Mitchell offers after-school interventions, free tutoring, and enrichment in robotics and coding.
Mitchell’s robust College and Career Mentoring Program pairs elementary students with college students who serve as positive role models, provide help with school work, and promote positive self-esteem.
Mitchell has brand new playground equipment as well as soccer and basketball leagues that keep students active.
Mitchell fosters a warm, inclusive school culture with a focus on respect, responsibility, and safety through its Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) program.
Mitchell students are trained in kindness. The school’s Peacekeeper program supports students with problem-solving, communication, and conflict resolution.
- Experienced, exceptional staff ready to meet the needs of all students, including credentialed teachers, special education teachers/support staff, psychologist, counselor, instructional aides, librarian, and technology support staff
- Free after school opportunities including Boys and Girls Club, coding class, mentoring, academic support
- Innovative use of Chromebooks and iPads as part of daily instruction Visual and performing arts program, weekly music lessons by a
- credentialed music teacher, choral and instrumental for upper grade
- Robust College and Career Mentoring program
- Culture of respect, responsibility, and safety through strong PBIS (Positive Behavioral Interventions and Support) Program
- Active Parent Teacher Organization creates strong school community with fun events like carnivals and cultural celebrations
- School survey shows students, parents and staff are happy to be a part of the Mitchell community